Always Trust a WaterSafe Professional with your Water Supply Pipe

UK plumbing register WaterSafe is urging householders to always use an approved contractor to work on their water supply pipe – the underground pipe which carries water to a property from the water main in the street.

WaterSafe is the register for approved contractors working with drinking water, making it easy to find someone who’s competent and qualified.

It’s supported by your local water company and WaterSafe’s membership will now include up to 1,500 water supply pipe installers nationwide – specialists in putting in new supply pipes or repairing existing ones.

Research by WaterSafe* found that:

  • 78 per cent of homeowners surveyed would be more likely to trust a tradesperson or company to work on their water supply pipe, if they were backed by their local water company

  • Almost a third of people weren’t aware that they’re usually responsible for their home’s water supply pipe

  • 82 per cent would be worried about the amount of water being lost, if there was a leak on their supply pipe.

WaterSafe has produced a new animated film, setting out the benefits of using a WaterSafe-approved water supply pipe installer. It’s available via the WaterSafe YouTube channel.

Julie Spinks, Director of WaterSafe, said: “Your water supply pipe carries water to your home from the water main in the road. So, to make sure you get safe and wholesome water, it’s really important that it’s installed or fixed by a trusted professional, such as a WaterSafe-approved installer.

“WaterSafe-approved contractors can put in a new supply pipe – for example, if you’ve been advised to replace lead pipes providing water to your property. They can also help advise on dealing with leaks on your supply pipe. Remember, leaks can be costly in terms of metered water bills and potentially having to put right damage to a home.”

Julie added: “Water supply pipe installers are only approved to work on the supply pipe from the external stop tap, up to the internal stop tap of a property. So, if you need work on your internal plumbing, you should use an approved plumber, who is approved for all types of plumbing work.”

WaterSafe approval covers work on private property, but not work in public areas, such as the pavement or road, or work on apparatus owned by a water company. 

For more information, visit

To find a WaterSafe-approved water supply pipe installer or other suitable approved contractor in your area, simply use the blue button on the right to search for ‘Water supply pipe installers’, ‘Underground pipework’ or ‘Leak detection’, and enter your postcode.

*WaterSafe interviewed 2,000 UK homeowners in November 2021

Our Partners

WaterSafe Approved Contractors' Scheme Operators

Anglian WaterAssociation of Plumbing & Heating ContractorsCIPHESevern TrentSNIPEFWIAPS

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience with WaterSafe. Some are essential to provide accurate emergency search results and ensure the website is secure. We also use cookies to help us understand how people use the site and to make improvements. Click "Accept All" to enable recommended settings or click "Manage cookies" to adjust your settings. For more details, see our Cookie Policy.