Always Trust a WaterSafe Professional with your Property’s Water Supply Pipe

UK plumbing register WaterSafe is urging owners, landlords and managers of businesses and non-domestic buildings to always use an approved contractor to work on their property’s water supply pipe – the underground pipe which carries water to a premises from the water main in the street.

WaterSafe is the register for approved contractors working with drinking water, making it easy to find someone who’s competent and qualified.

It’s supported by your local water company and WaterSafe’s membership will now include up to 1,500 water supply pipe installers nationwide – specialists in putting in new supply pipes or repairing existing ones.

Research by WaterSafe* among those responsible for non-domestic buildings, such as offices, shops and public sector buildings, found that:

  • 84 per cent of people surveyed said they would be more likely to trust a contractor or company to repair or replace a supply pipe, if they were backed by their local water company

  • More than a quarter weren’t aware that the owner of their business / non-domestic property is usually responsible for the building’s water supply pipe.

WaterSafe has produced a new animated film, setting out the benefits of using a WaterSafe-approved water supply pipe installer. It’s available via the WaterSafe YouTube channel.

Julie Spinks, Director of WaterSafe, said: “A building’s water supply pipe carries water to the property from the water main in the road. So, to make sure your tenants, employees and customers get safe and wholesome water, it’s really important that the pipe is installed or fixed by a trusted professional, such as a WaterSafe-approved installer.

“WaterSafe-approved contractors can put in a new supply pipe – for example, if you’ve been advised to replace lead pipes providing water to your property. They can also help advise on dealing with leaks on your supply pipe. Remember, leaks can be costly in terms of metered water bills and potentially having to put right damage to a premises.”

Julie added: “Water supply pipe installers are only approved to work on the supply pipe from the external stop tap, up to the internal stop tap of a property. So, if you need work on your internal plumbing, you should use an approved plumber, who is approved for all types of plumbing work.”

WaterSafe approval covers work on private property, but not work in public areas, such as the pavement or road, or work on apparatus owned by a water company. 

For more information, visit

To find a WaterSafe-approved water supply pipe installer or other suitable approved contractor in your area, simply use the blue button on the right to search for ‘Water supply pipe installers’, ‘Underground pipework’ or ‘Leak detection’, and enter your postcode.

*WaterSafe interviewed 500 non-household building owners and managers in December 2021.

Our Partners

WaterSafe Approved Contractors' Scheme Operators

Anglian WaterAssociation of Plumbing & Heating ContractorsCIPHESevern TrentSNIPEFWIAPS

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience with WaterSafe. Some are essential to provide accurate emergency search results and ensure the website is secure. We also use cookies to help us understand how people use the site and to make improvements. Click "Accept All" to enable recommended settings or click "Manage cookies" to adjust your settings. For more details, see our Cookie Policy.