What should I do if I can't turn off my water supply?

If you're having problems finding or turning off your internal stop tap a plumber can help. Use our postcode search to find a WaterSafe recognised plumber near you.

External stop taps (also known as stop valve or stop cock) can be used to isolate the water supply to your home or business. Ideally it should only be used by a qualified plumber or by the water supplier.

Please note that the external stop tap belongs to your local water supplier and you may need to seek permission to operate the external stop tap even in an emergency. If you turn off the external stop tap in an emergency you may need to seek permission from your water supplier to turn the supply back on. Not all water suppliers will give permission to use the external stop tap and if you operate the external stop tap and damage the stop tap, you may be liable for repairs.

If your plumber has tried all options and you need emergency assistance, you should contact your local water supplier.

Make sure your plumber stays at your property to carry out the internal repairs that may be needed.

Our Partners

WaterSafe Approved Contractors' Scheme Operators

Anglian WaterAssociation of Plumbing & Heating ContractorsCIPHESevern TrentSNIPEFWIAPS

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience with WaterSafe. Some are essential to provide accurate emergency search results and ensure the website is secure. We also use cookies to help us understand how people use the site and to make improvements. Click "Accept All" to enable recommended settings or click "Manage cookies" to adjust your settings. For more details, see our Cookie Policy.