Where to find an internal stop tap

An internal stop tap (sometimes called a stop cock or stop valve) is usually found where your water supply pipe enters your house. The most common places to find one are under the kitchen sink, under the stairs, or in a garage, utility or bathroom. Make sure it’s working properly and you can turn it on and off easily, in case you need to in an emergency.

Click here for more information about turning off your water supply.

Our Partners

WaterSafe Approved Contractors' Scheme Operators

Anglian WaterAssociation of Plumbing & Heating ContractorsCIPHESevern TrentSNIPEFWIAPS

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience with WaterSafe. Some are essential to provide accurate emergency search results and ensure the website is secure. We also use cookies to help us understand how people use the site and to make improvements. Click "Accept All" to enable recommended settings or click "Manage cookies" to adjust your settings. For more details, see our Cookie Policy.