Water that passes through peaty land can have an earthy or musty taste and/or odour. The water treatment works in such areas are designed to remove the organic material that causes these tastes.
Several types of bacteria and algae that are normally present in lakes, reservoirs and rivers can naturally produce substances which are not harmful to health, but which can give a musty or earthy taste or odour to water. Some of these organisms can also grow on washers and the inside of taps in homes, which can lead to musty or earthy tastes or odours.
If you notice a smell or taste like this for the first time, try using a mild household disinfectant to wash outside and inside your drinking water tap. Don’t forget to let it run a little before you use it again to rinse out the disinfectant.
If you've tried this but are still concerned, or you'd like more advice you should contact your water supplier.