What to Do if Things Go Wrong

Advice on the simple steps to take if you are unhappy with work carried out by a WaterSafe approved contractor and how to contact WaterSafe if you need further help.

Step one: Contact your WaterSafe approved contractor

If you are unhappy with the work carried out by a WaterSafe approved contractor, you should first raise your complaint with them to see if you can agree a way to resolve the problem.

All WaterSafe approved businesses are expected to:

  • make sure their plumbing work is carried out in accordance with all statutory requirements, including the Water Regulations and Byelaws

  • make sure their plumbing work is carried out by appropriately qualified professionals

  • issue a ‘Completion Certificate’ for all the work carried out

  • have adequate procedures to deal with customer complaints in a speedy and efficient way.

Step two: Contact the WaterSafe approved contractors’ scheme the contractor is registered with

If you’re not able to resolve the problem directly with the contractor, the next step is to contact the scheme they are registered with.

Every WaterSafe approved contractor will be a member of one of seven approved contractors’ schemes.

You can check which scheme your contractor is a member of on the WaterSafe website:

  • look up the business on the search function at www.watersafe.org.uk.

  • click on your contractors’ business name

  • their scheme membership is listed at the bottom as a logo

  • click on the highlighted logo to go to the scheme’s website where you’ll find their contact details.

(Please note some contractors are members of more than one scheme. In these cases both logos will be highlighted).

The contractor’s approval scheme will investigate and resolve the complaint in line with their complaints process (available on their websites).

As a minimum, they expect members to meet the requirements listed in Step One.

Step Three: Need further help? Contact WaterSafe

If you are not sure which approved contractors’ scheme your contractor is a member of, contact WaterSafe on 0333 207 9030 or email info@watersafe.co.uk.

WaterSafe will pass on your complaint to the relevant scheme and ask them to contact you to understand and investigate your complaint.

Our Partners

WaterSafe Approved Contractors' Scheme Operators

Anglian WaterAssociation of Plumbing & Heating ContractorsCIPHESevern TrentSNIPEFWIAPS

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience with WaterSafe. Some are essential to provide accurate emergency search results and ensure the website is secure. We also use cookies to help us understand how people use the site and to make improvements. Click "Accept All" to enable recommended settings or click "Manage cookies" to adjust your settings. For more details, see our Cookie Policy.