There are two easy steps to become a member of WaterSafe. First, join an Approved Contractors' Scheme, and then opt to become a member of WaterSafe.
Step One: Select one of the Approved Schemes
To become a member of WaterSafe and be ‘WaterSafe approved’ a plumbing business or sole trader must join one of the seven existing
Approved Contractors' Schemes and operate within the UK. Each approved contractor scheme operates in a different geographical area, with some overlap, so it's easiest to choose one local to you.
Ensure you meet the minimum requirements to join
To join an Approved Contractor Scheme, each WaterSafe approved business must:
- Have £2 million of public liability insurance and, where appropriate, £5 million of employers liability cover.
- Employ suitably qualified and competent individuals. These individuals then become WaterSafe recognised. To be suitably qualified, plumbers employed by a business are required to successfully complete an NVQ Level 2 in Mechanical Engineer Services (plumbing) (6089) as a minimum and have a Water Fittings Regulations qualification.
Find out more with our
full list of accepted qualifications.
- Experienced plumbers can alternatively opt to take the BPEC Experienced Worker Qualification as a route to joining WaterSafe through one of the seven Approved Contractor Schemes. You can download the initial assessment form.
- Have at least one qualified individual who is recognised by WaterSafe for every five employees undertaking water supply installation work. WaterSafe approved businesses must commit to send only qualified and WaterSafe recognised individuals to respond to WaterSafe-generated work.
- To become a member of WaterSafe you must agree to adhere to your Approved Contractors Scheme/WaterSafe Scheme Rules and Conditions of Membership and Customer Commitments.
To join an Approved Contractor Scheme, just fill in your application form and submit it directly to your chosen scheme, with any supporting information required.
Step Two: Sign up to WaterSafe
You can normally do this by selecting the option to join WaterSafe in your application form. If you are already an eligible member of one of the seven schemes, just ask your scheme for a WaterSafe Consent Form.
For more information check our
membership frequently asked questions, ask a question using the form below, or call us on 0333 207 9030.