Approved Plumber Search

Find a local plumber you can trust using our free online directory search.

WaterSafe approved plumbers are certified by our national accreditation body, with specific training in the UK’s Water Fittings Regulations and Byelaws.

Hiring a WaterSafe approved plumber ensures that all plumbing work meets high standards and protects the quality of drinking water in your home and business, in England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

Water Support Services search

When planning a plumbing project, you may wish to hire specialised contractors, rather than a fully qualified WaterSafe Plumber.

These Water Support Services contractors include:

  • Groundworkers
  • Catering installers
  • Point of Use

These contractors are not approved WaterSafe plumbers, but they are recognised by the water company schemes APLUS, TAPS, WaterMark and WIAPS to carry out specific types of work in compliance with the Water Fittings Regulations and Byelaws. 


Groundworkers can work on the supply pipe (the underground pipe) supplying your property, up to the internal stop valve.

Catering installers

Catering Installers can install commercial kitchen equipment.

Point of Use installers

Point of Use Installers can install cold water chillers connected directly to the mains.

For further information or help, you should contact the relevant water company scheme.

Emergency Plumber Search

Find a local WaterSafe approved plumber to help with your emergency.

For leaks, burst pipes, or other plumbing emergencies, WaterSafe’s emergency search will give you the contact details of a plumber who can help right away.

If you have no water, very low pressure or concerns about the quality of your water, you should contact your local water company straight away.

Click here for more information about Emergency Plumbers


Frequently asked questions about Misconnections

You can also find tips and advice in our short films on  WaterSafe’s YouTube channel.

I have been told that part of the property's drainage is connected to the wrong sewer. What does this mean?

Many houses have two separate sewers:

  • The foul sewer takes waste water from toilets, bathrooms and kitchens to the sewage works for treatment
  • The surface water sewer takes rainwater from the roof and conveys it to a local watercourse (eg river or stream).

If you find that your property has wastewater pipes discharging to a sewer intended for rainwater only, it will cause pollution. This is known as a misconnection and you will need to undertake remedial work to put it right.

The  ConnectRight website provides guidance on what to do to find any misconnections and how to put them right - just use the "check your existing connections" guide.

Who is responsible for correcting a misconnection?

You, as the owner of the property, are responsible for corrective work. If you rent the property then you should contact the landlord who may be the local council, housing association or a private landlord.

Please also advise  your water and sewerage company to stop any further letters being sent to you.

If you own your property, you will be responsible, even if the misconnection was made by a previous owner. You could try to contact the previous owner to see if they would be willing to accept responsibility.

The survey undertaken at the time of your purchase would not have identified this problem unless you specifically asked for a full drainage survey.

What do I need to do to correct the drainage?

This depends on the fault that has been identified by your water company's survey contractor who should have given you advice on the day of their visit.

If you have received a letter from your water company you can contact them using the telephone number provided.

The property survey sketch enclosed with the letter will give you an indication of what is required.

The  ConnectRight website also provides guidance on what to do to check for and put right any misconnections - just use the "check your existing connections" guide.

I have been told that the sewer pipe may be cracked below ground. What should I do?

You should contact your property insurers or drainage insurance company if you have a policy.

The sewer may require a CCTV inspection to confirm the fault. The costs should be shared between the owners of all properties that are connected to the sewer.

Will my water and sewerage company do the work and allow me to pay by my water bill?

It is unlikely your water company will undertake work on private drainage.

The  ConnectRight website provides guidance on how to check your connections and how to correct them - just use the "check your existing connections" guide.

Find Your Nearest Approved Plumber

Our Partners

WaterSafe Approved Contractors' Scheme Operators

Anglian WaterAssociation of Plumbing & Heating ContractorsCIPHESevern TrentSNIPEFThames WaterWIAPS